[tcrc-fd] FD Planning Email

Kelvin D. Olson kelvind at kelvind.com
Tue May 27 10:03:53 CDT 2014

Hello KD0YLR, et al,

Nice job on the agenda and notes. Seems my rekindled interest in Amateur
Radio, and re-joining the TCRC, happened just a tidge too late to find out
about that first meeting.

It's been many years, but I intend to attend Field Day this year.

I have a couple weird thoughts to throw into the fray:

Depending on how many people y'all think will attend the BBQ on Saturday
evening, I was thinkin' I could bring my smoker down and make Pork Loin
(aka "Baby Back") Ribs. That is, if it's not too cannibalistic for hams to
eat pork. (Warning: all puns to follow will be approximately that bad.)

>From the *FD 2014 1st email to committee.pdf*:
"8) Networked computer with N1MM software for logging."
I do have spare WiFi gear that I can lend. But I was also wondering if
there might not be some additional geek-pride in using ham-specific
networking. Namely, an HSMM mesh of nodes running in the upper end of our
23cm band. For reference, please see
http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/
I'm willing to do some research and experimentation on the subject. My
hunch is it's a long shot... but it might be cool.

As for my intended participation, way way back in the farm-on-a-hill days,
my tendency was to help erect towers, help setup log network, operate SSB a
little, take a tour, have dinner, operate SSB a little more, and go home.
Then I'd show up on Sunday in time for teardown. I expect this year will be
much like those.

Only once did I pull the all-nighter, and I'm not aiming to do that again.

Happy Trails, y'all, and 73,
--
KDO
n0mql