[tcrc-fd] 2014 TCRC Field Day Update

Kelvin D. Olson kelvind at kelvind.com
Tue Jun 17 08:44:33 CDT 2014

A few little edits/appends:

1) John Toscano is completely correct about not needing a network for
logging. There may have been a time way back when that it had some value,
but if there aren't any bands with more than one station on it, there's no
chance for dupes. Hence, I won't bring network gear *for logging*.

2) But I *will* bring my 3 routers with hssm (broadband-hamnet) firmware
anyway, just in case there's any value in doing any operation on yet
another band, or some people standin' around bored, who might want to chat
about how hams could/would assist with emergency *stuff* if the Internet
done got broked. (Yes, I said 'broked'.) Let's be clear, though... this is
probably a side-issue to Field Day proper.

3) While trying to figure out how to get my smoker down there, it dawned on
me that a large crock-pot full of ribs is more practical.
   a. Smoked on Friday evening.
   b. Not making (possibly) annoying smoke on site (also reduces drool in
the equipment).
   c. Not needing to transport smoker twice (I don't presently own a
pickup).

4) My last name is Olson (no 'e'). ~heheheh~ And usually the way people get
my name wrong is by dropping the 'L' out of 'Kelvin'.

5) I have a hunch that you won't need more volunteers to take photos. What
you'll need is an *easy* way for everyone to send their smartphone (and
other digital) photos to you. Should they email them as attachments to a
specific email address? Should they post them on the TCRC FB Page?

Cheers,
--
KDO